We, at Core Wellness CEU, understand the important work that Licensed Master Social Workers (LMSW) and Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW) do. With all your professional training and expertise, you work closely with your clients on their emotional and mental health. Your training prepares you to assist your clients in coping and dealing with past traumas or other inhibitors that affect general wellbeing. Of course, you know all of this!
In order for you to stay updated in your field of work, the Continuing Education Unit was established under the guidance of IACET (International Association for Continuing Education & Training) and the ANSI (American National Standards Institute). These organizations exist to improve the overall quality of the American output and to ensure that the common people are getting the best possible care.
The practice of CEU for license renewal varies from state to state. The following are CEU Requirements for Maryland Trauma Therapists.
The license of a trauma therapist in Maryland is valid for two years. The renewal has to be done biennially. It is so designed by the state so that you stay in touch with all the developments in the field and you are continuously learning.
The following are the prerequisites you need to fulfill in order to successfully renew your therapy license.
- You will have to complete a minimum of 40 CEUs within the renewal period.
Let us go over some basic terms before we get into further details.
A renewal period is usually two years long, ending on the date your license expires. The state ideally gives you over 700 days to complete 40 CEUs.
According to IACET norms, one CEU is measured as 10 contact hours in an organized accredited center like Core Wellness. You are essentially looking at about 400 contact hours.
CEUs are also categorized into two: Type A and Type B. Type A includes all programs that involve direct or live interaction while Type B can be summarized as the self-study component.
- In the 40 CEUs that you do, at least 30 CEUs should be of Type A. You should not exceed 10 Type B CE units.
- All 40 Type A units are also acceptable.
- You also expected to complete a minimum of 3 CEUs each in the fields of laws related to practice, ethics and professional conduct and risk management.
- You should also complete a minimum of 3 CE hours in activities or interaction sessions particularly built to strengthen your capabilities while providing psychological services to racially, ethnically or culturally diverse populations.
- CEUs are not transferable and cannot be carried forward to the next time your license has to be renewed.
- The Board also accepts a maximum of 20 out of the 40 CEUs earned through a trustworthy accredited online platform.
- In case you have a renewal period of less than two years, you have to complete a minimum of 20 Category A CEUs for that renewal period.
- You have to submit proof of completion to the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists. The proof generally includes the following.
- An attestation by you declaring the completion of required CEUs on a form given by the Board.
- A record of attendance from the organization conducting the CE units.
- Documentation of Type A and Type B activities in a prescribed format.
- If you fail to complete the allotted CE hours or submit the documents to the Board on time, you might be subjected to non-renewal of your license, civil penalty, or even a possible license suspension. However, in the case of an emergency, you can always request the Board for an extension.
These are the major CEU requirements for trauma therapists in Maryland. Check the Board’s website for additional information.
What We Do
You might be wondering how Core Wellness CEU fits into all of this. The answer is pretty simple. We have been delivering CE training (and mental health services) for the Maryland public school system for over 30 years. We are now bringing our well-structured CE units to your doorstep. We understand and accommodate your busy schedules and also believe that better learning can happen in the comfort of your own home. We present to you well-researched, high-quality interactive content of both the types through online webinars. For all boards in Maryland, live interactive webinar participation is the same as live attendance. You can earn 20 out of your 40 required CE units from our online services.
By signing up with us, you will find yourself interacting with highly acclaimed personnel in the field of counseling psychology from across the country. And you get to do it in the comfort of your own desk. The online CE programs that Core Wellness offer is authorized by the Maryland Board Of Social Work Examiners, so you do not have to be worried about its validity. Our credits are also fully accepted by the Board of Professional Counselors of Maryland and the Board of Psychologists of Maryland.